Wednesday, September 14, 2011

folklore and findings



               Yesterday I got the book "Irish Fairy and Folk Tales" written by W.B. Yeats. I've always been interested in folklore and different stories that have to deal with the Irish people. I found out through my biological mother that her grandmother was Irish, so I'm a wee bit (haha). Anyway, the story I read was about the children of Lir and their fate. They were turned into swans by their evil stepmother and could not be changed back until a prince married a princess in a certain town. I remember the swan on the University of Limerick campus that my friend and I always saw. Moving on...I won't tell you the whole story, and by you, I mean the two people reading my blog lol. Anyway, I hope someday to go to grad school in Ireland or Scotland and learn more about folklore maybe. 


                  Anyway, tonight I went to a documentary viewing on the Trojan War. They talked about Dr. Shleiman and his findings around the area that is today Troy on a map. He traveled throughout Turkey and Greece trying to dig up evidence and find the lost palace of Troy and the jewels of Helen. It was actually very interesting, except for the freshmen behind me talking the whole time. My teacher is making us attend these lectures and documentaries on ancient Greece because we are studying Herodotus and Thucydides in class. I should really start reading more... 


                 Today in Japanese I performed a skit and it went well! ばんざい!

No comments:

Post a Comment